Who We Are
The term Birth Doula refers to a trained and experienced labor companion who provides the woman and her partner continuous emotional support and physical comfort to help smooth the process of birth. She also assists in information gathering so as to assist the family in clarifying their priorities and birth preferences.
Why would I hire a Doula?
Childbirth can be a challenging experience for any woman. If a woman has anxious or fearful feelings about her upcoming delivery, this can have negative effects on her labor which can later effect her self-esteem, parenting, and ability to breastfeed. Feeling safe, supported, and confident greatly improves the likelihood of new mothers and their partners having both a positive and satisfying experience that carries on into parenting.
Numerous clinical studies have shown the following effects of doula support...
- Labors tend to be shorter and with less complications
- Greater satisfaction with childbirth
- Reduces the need for pitocin, forceps, or vacuum extraction
- Babies have shorter hospital stays and fewer admissions to special care nurseries
- The cost of obstetrical care is dramatically reduced
- Cesarean birth rate decreases
What if I want an epidural?
Doulas can be helpful in all labors and birth scenarios. We never know really what your labor will entail so it is helpful to be informed and confident ahead of time about the risks and benefits of all your potential choices.